View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Copy of jamsvx2 yahoo page

Subaru Amadeus

The Subaru Amadeus was first displayed at the 29th Tokyo Motor Show in 1991 and was a 3 door station wagon derivative of the SVX that, according to legend, was supposed to be endorsed in the Japanese market by Paul Hogan. The story goes that upon him seeing the Amadeus, he laughed so much that the whole concept was rethought....and abandoned.

What was done to the SVX to make the Amadeus, being the addition a rear hatch and extension of the body to a station-wagon affair, is not a new concept and has been done on quite a few rare and exotic cars such as the Aston Martin Vantage and the Ferrari 456GT - one of which is owned by He Who Owns All Cars, the Sultan of Brunei. This manner of car modification is more commonly known as a 'Shooting Brake' - I have no idea why!

The article to the left mentions a 4 door version!

This unusual green SVX with the 1992-94 series black roof was also displayed at the same 1991 Tokyo Motor Show as the Amadeus.

An evolution perhaps? The 1996 Subaru Exiga Concept Car

Future SVX?

It is rumored that Subaru will be releasing an SVX in 2003 but speculation is rife on the nature of the design. The most popular opinion is a body built on the WRX platform and to be in coupe form - but this is already extant in the WRX STi and WRX 22B. Secondly, if the aim is a GT rather than a out and out sports car, then it will have to compete with the Subaru Liberty B4 Twin Turbo. This has just been released in Australia as an 'executive express' and its popularity remains to be seen. One must remember that the SVX was released at a time when there was no WRX and the only competitor within the Subaru family was the RS Turbo. Given that the RS Turbo has been replaced by the B4 and the WRX has taken over the coupe area of Subaru, the SVX would be stuck between the proverbial 'rock and a hard place'. Even if an SVX is released, I cannot imagine it being the quantum leap that the original SVX was....and a twin turbo 6 speed SVX would have to do combat with the Nissan GTR, Mazda RX7 and the Toyota Supra. As such, I myself can't see an SVX being released and even if one is, I can't think that it would be quite the same.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration

Last edited by subbieatnz; 07-18-2009 at 09:04 AM.