Thread: Old car smell
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 02:48 PM
Parts Hook-Up

Re: Old car smell

You might try to clean the vents as well. Subaru offers a "Climate Control" Kit for this purpose, two cans of stuff, one for the cowl panel air inlet and the other you squirt up the drain tube for the evap system. It worked surprisingly well in my car and lasted quite a while, has a pretty fresh scent.

Second, the carpets for sure. If you're really energetic you can remove it from the car, shampoo it, let it dry completely and reinstall. Otherwise I use a can of upholstery cleaner on everything and then take some of the 2X Febreeze and just about hose it down, let it dry out and then close the car back up.

Third, and probably the last option but it certainly works. Aqua-Tabs, you drop one in a small cup of water, set it in the cup holder and let it fizzle for a few hours. About half way through you turn the car on, turn on the heat or AC and let it cycle through. Afterwards the car smells like a pool but it eventually subsides and the car smells fresh. We use it to remove smoke smell from used cars it works very well. It literally kills any chance of stink anywhere. You can't drive the car while it's being fumed though and I highly suggest letting it air out for a few hours afterward before you drive it. It's nasty stuff but it really does work. If it can kill cigarette smell it will definitely kill any musty odors lingering around.
Annapolis, MD 21401
443-837-1422

www.AnnapolisSubaru.com

Jackie.Whetzler@AnnapolisSubaru.com