View Single Post
Old 10-16-2001, 06:39 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Warranties

When I finally assembled my "dream stereo" a few years back, I wondered about extended warranties, but didn't go that route.

Last year my Plinius 8150 amp shorted internally and suffered a partial meltdown. I sent it to the repair facility and got a call apologizing for the product letting me down. They asked if I minded, when they repaired it, that they upgrade the internals to the newest parts and specs! (oh yes, I minded big time! ) so now instead of an 8150 or an 8200, I have an "8150-B'" model. They wanted me to call them back every month or so and give them feedback on how the improvements sounded, and if I was satisfied. Yes, the amp sounded much better. The upgraded power supply and new caps improved the sound greatly. (not that it was a dog to begin with!) No charge.

But when I hooked them back up to my B&W speakers....silence. I had never checked the speakers since I had shifted to listening to an older system. I called B&W and told them what had happened....and even though the fault was not the speakers, they replaced 3 of the 4 drivers and threw in spare tweeter grills! Again, no charge.

Sounds like the computer folks need to take a page from the audiophile manufacturers books. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 10-16-2001 at 06:44 PM.