View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Phil & Belha

Re: Memory dump of ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdjc View Post
Good to see there has been progress in the last few months, I more or less forgot about this whole project!

About the eavesdropping.. Where are you meant to get three female connectors? Strip them out of three cars? I had a look on the Molex website, but to no avail.

Also, can an idiots proof guide be written as to how to eavesdrop?
It looks a bit confusing to me
Also, do you connect it to B35, or to the ECU?

When you refer to SSM, do you mean the scanner available from Subaru?
or another pc with software like VWRX or Evoscan?

What are m and c in your calculations??

Cheers,
Daniel.
Welcome back.

This should help explain the eavesdropping:
http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/eavesdrop.html

The idea is that you connect the eavesdrop cable in between your car and the Subaru dealer's Select Monitor tool. Then you can use your PC to listen to the communication between the Select Monitor and the car.

For each parameter, you can see which address the select monitor is querying. That's half the problem solved.

The other half of the problem is to figure out how to map the value that comes back from the ECU to the value that gets displayed on the select monitor screen. Most likely it will be a linear relationship. That means the equation will be y=mx+c. y is the select monitor value, x is the raw data, m is a multiplier and c is a constant. The values of m and c can be worked out by taking two readings and using "simultaneous equations".

You need to get the female connectors from a car breaker. I haven't found another source. If you can find a breaker with a 1st Gen Legacy then you are in luck because you can pull it's diagnostics connector and it's radio connector. They are the same.

It's not difficult to do. I'll be happy to take you through it step by step.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II