View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 07:32 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
I've finally gotten back to this problem. I'm in the middle of pulling off the intake manifold to replace all the vacuum lines that after 13 years have the physical properties of "glass". Since I had the throttle body on the work bench I decided to pull the TPS off and make some measurements.

I measured the resistance between pins 2 and 3 as shown in the How-To section and here . My Chilton manual says that the throttle closed resistance should be 10K - 12K and wide-open it should be 3K -5K. These values seem to conflict the values in the How-To which seem to be about 5K with the throttle closed and 1.5K at wide-open throttle. Can someone with a FSM verify what the factory says the pin 2-3 measurements should be?

The measurements on my TPS are way off from both of the above sources. I measure 870 ohms at closed throttle and 4.75K at wide-open throttle. I also can see an obvious problem when I move the throttle. A little above idle as the resistance is increasing it suddenly decreases for a couple of degrees of movement and then continues to increase toward wide-open throttle - Yikes!

So I assume (er..... that is, hope) that this is the source of my transmission problems. If it is, it will also be the source of a $150 hole in my wallet.

- Jim

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles