View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
here i would disagree. as of now, they would easily be able to take taiwan if they wanted. the only reason they aren't able to do so is because of the pact signed with the united states and japan to aid taiwan if china was to invade. i'm sorry a million man army with ak-47's and even the missles that we consider 'outdated' would make quick work for an invasion.

they are modernizing in an attempt to level the playing field between their team and our team.
The most important issue here is transport ships. Until recently, they did not have nearly enough transports to get the 100-million-man-army-with-AK-47s across to taiwan, even if they took over commercial vessels. They have recently started to address this issue by ordering more transports. However, even with that, they need to maintain naval superiority to get the transports across. To maintain naval superiority, they need to control the skies. To control the skies, they need planes that are combat-worthy. They don't. At the moment. They are alleviating this situation by purchasing and manufacturing Russian planes from Russia and other countries (they use to make them under license from Russia, but I think they're buying outright now) (ironically, I think Israel is one of the countries supplying them, but don't hold me to that one, I can't remember for sure). However, their naval fleet is still currently a brown- and green-water fleet (they have to stay near land). They are attempting to attain blue-water naval capability (ocean roaming).

It's all a matter of time, but that time is not yet now.