View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.messenger
Or is the driver missing the point......
Why gerbil about with a shape that's so refined that it is 0.28/29 straight off the production line - a figure most sports cars would love to run with.
Well because as the management buzz-word speakers would say it's the 'low hanging fruit'. It seems easy and cheap to prototype, a few sheets of plywood, something that you could find by raiding a local skip (dumpster) is all you would need to start. It's the measurement of the results that's difficult.

Quote:
On the subject of sticking one's head out the window at speed (!) why not start, say, by electrically folding the wing mirrors on the move?
Cheaper still, take the mirrors off entirely, or manually fold them back. The problem is still measuring how much benefit this actually gives you.

Quote:
Or looking for a management chip for that lovely 3.3+ litre motor?
What chip will give you another 40hp at the wheels, which probably means more like another 50hp at the flywheel?
Is there a magic chip which will give you another 20% more power? I don't think so. Certainly not without prejudicing the reliability and longevity of the powerplant.
Quote:
Or fitting skinnier wheels/tyres to reduce drag?
A possibility, but how much would that cost? Several hundred pounds I guess, would it save 100 lbs of drag? How much would it affect the useability of the car?

As I said, it's the germ of an idea. One that might stand a chance of bearing fruit, and may well be totally undetectable from outside the car. If it works then it will give not only better performance but better economy too.

I'm not claiming that it will work, only measurement will prove that.

So, has anybody got access to a wind tunnel?