View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Code 14 & 15 A/C diagnostic codes

I'd like some input from the board on these two error codes for the HVAC system. I can replace both sensors but before I do, I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

Code 14 - Evaporator sensor open
Code 15 - Refrigerant temp sensor open

FSM states to conduct a resistance value check for both sensors. After testing them, they both fell in line with the value from the table. I find it peculiar that BOTH sensors are reporting an open circuit condition at the same time. This points to a connector not making good contact that is common to both. I'll keep poking around but so far haven't found anything concrete.

Purchasing these two sensors are rather expensive so I have to make absolutely sure that they're both bad before ordering. $140 for one and $50 for the other.

The A/C system does work decent when it works. However, it refused to turn on for my ride home from work, around 90°F. But, it worked earlier in the day during my lunch hour, 40°F vent temp Go figure.

When operating normally, the high and low side pressures are appropriate for the ambient temps.

This is what happened yesterday:

- get in the hot car, turn on engine
- push AUTO on the HVAC
- system takes a while, maybe 30 seconds before turning on full blast for five seconds.
- system shuts off
- while I'm driving, I do feel faint cold air coming out of the vents but I don't think the blower was running
- shut off system, back to AUTO several times yielded nothing.

System converted to r134A
- new condenser
- new expansion valve
- new drier
- new a/c comp

Thanks for any insight.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E