View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 2-3 flare in tranny, what can I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Today had the rare opportunity to sit in stop and go traffic and I realized just how bad my 2-3 flare is. Usually I only experience it on occasion, but sitting in slow traffic today it occured pretty much every time I rolled at 20 mph.

Is this something there is a fix for, or does it just mean start saving for a tranny?
Giday Troy, you are having a bad run mate.

The flair from 2nd to 3rd does not spell the end to the trans. What happens is that the brake band wears like an other friction device. The clutches in the trans wear the same, but their pistons just pushes them further, to do the adjustment.

During the 2/3 change, the band releases as the high clutch is applied. If the band needs adjusting, it will release too early, the box goes back to first till the high clutch comes on. This is the Flair that we feel. Nothing is slipping.

I would say that in your case, it is also lower line pressure due to the age and condition of the box, and the low rotational speed.
I would do the band adjustment, not the '3/4 turn bit by bit' method, just do the full adjustment. Tighten the adjuster till it is firm, then back it off two full turns to set the clearance.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.