View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
The install is done. 20 minutes was about right, even for someone as wrench-klutzy as me. One question, the how-to says to torque the bolt to 35 ft-lbs. Unfortunately, the only torque wrench I have is the big one I use to torque my lugs. How critical is this number, and, if it is critical, what would you suggest I use to set it. Right now, they are exactly "pretty tight." meaning I didn't lean on the wrench real hard, but used some force.

I'm going up to Watkins Glen this weekend for a 2 day DE event with NASA-NE, will let everyone know if I notice any difference. Hopefully, the rear-end will not become so loose that I have a return of the dreaded full-throttle corner exit oversteer. Watkins Glen with miles of Armco is not the place for that to happen. I did have the car aligned by a non-dealer, who actually used my rear camber bolts to give me 1.5 Deg negative at the rear. I'm now running 1.25 negative at the front with the new 245/40-17 RE01-R's.

Thanks very much, Tom. I'm really looking forward to testing them.
Dan,
If your knuckles were starting to turn white when you tighten down, then you're fine I didn't read back through the thread, but are the nuts self locking (nylocks)? If they aren't, I'd suggest replacing them - given the driving you do
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker