View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Danger. Not so plodding plod.

Quote:
Originally posted by crow_road75

Monzta,

The system that was likely to be fitted to the unmarked trafpol car is called a "ProVida", and I believe it's laser based. The camera unit is mounted in the centre of the dash - about 2" high.

Jason
--
Don't know a lot about this ProVida, but I doubt it's Laser, though you could be right.

Laser has a very narrow beam. If they are following a car that is overtaking and weaving around, the camera will keep losing the target, unless they are using a diffuser to broaden the beam, possible I suppose.

More likely it uses radar, and interacts with the car's onboard GPS. The speed of the chasing car would be referenced from GPS, and the computer would take the radar reading from the car in front and add or subtract speed depending on whether the chase car is gaining or losing. These figures are probably digitally added to the Video along with date and time and other data for prosecution.

You were lucky Monzta. I would say if they got even a hint of alcohol from you, they would throw the book at you.

All this means the Ultimate SVX would require another modification, front and rear Radar/Laser.

Stay within the hedges and ahead of the Law.

And drive carefully.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl