Thread: unemployed
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2003, 06:45 PM
SVXdriver_007

Wow man sorry to hear that.

When I got out of the Navy They sent me to a week long course to assist in transition It was a good course. I'll try to pass alot of the key things on to you that have worked for me.

1. NETWORK! NETWORK! NETWORK! this is hands down the most important 70% of all jobs are filled this way. Seriously all pride aside talk to everyone. I found my job because the girl behind the counter at my Gym, gave me her dads number who connected me with one of his co-workers who connected me with the lady who hired me. The only reason she gave me her number was because I talked to her about it.

2. Try to keep the same type of daily schedule, you know get up in the morning job search when you would have been at work and then (to a degree) do the normal things you would do after that time. Your job search will represent your time and keep you from falling into a slump. As an example I always went to the gym in the morning before work so after 2 days of moping I got my ass back up at 5am and went to the gym had I have not done that I'm pretty sure I would not have the job I have because I would never have ran into the girl who gave me her dads number.

3. Don't hang your hat on the Internet or the paper. i'm not saying don't look there but just remember if you see it in the paper or on the internet so has everyone else. AGAIN, I'm not saying don't try there just don't dedicate all your time to it.

4. Don't let pride stop you from taking a job you might not want, its just temporary.

5. Did I mention Networking

hope that helps. Good luck hunting.

Shane