View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
If the VTD transfer layout is as Harvey's diagram shows, then it seems to coincide with my understanding of the BNR32's ATTESA-ETS transfer mechanism. Save for the fact that the front transfer shaft is internal on VTD and external on ATTESA-ETS.

In which case, I would wonder why putting no pressure on the clutch pack doesn't result in a 0/100 split. In ATTESA-ETS, when there is no transfer clutch application, the transmission is fully rear-drive. All they have to do is pull the ATTESA fuse and they've got RWD.

On our cars, you put a fuse in and get full lockup of the transfer clutch, for 50/50. Hm...

I mean, I realize that Nissan and Subaru aren't the same, but they're quite similar, and were fairly close entities back in the early 90's. So, I wonder. Does this mean that no pressure to the transfer clutch still results in partial application? The clutch can never fully disengage?

Otherwise, I cannot figure out how torque is getting up front with the clutch disengaged.
If the VTD clutch does not work, we just have a open center diff that will spin one set of wheels or the other.
The drive to both F/R wheels is mechanical.
The clutch plays no part in driving either end. It is only used to prevent wheel spin, and to alter the torque balance between the F/R.

Not the same as the Nissan.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.