Thread: D or 3 ?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
For the transfer clutch to live any length of time, it must be an on/off proposition. Any less than that & it would lose effectiveness, any more would cause a VERY limited lifespan. When I mentioned "duty cycle on" or "duty cycle off" I mean the clutch engaged (on), or disengaged (off). By varying the pulse width of the Duty C the clutch would "mimic" slippage, while still delivering AWD.

The monkey wrench in my theory is, that, this would introduce a vibration, in extreme situations of high traction surfaces, and wheel slippage. Like in an auto-X, especially with sticky race compound tires. Unless the transfer clutch incorporates discs that would provide a slight viscous transfer, to aid the clutches themselves. This last part could be borne out by seeing the discs laid out of the transfer clutch. They would be slotted, and their spacing would be less than 1mm. This would create a "shear" effect. It would also do nothing, unless there was a speed difference.

This would also explain the use of an LSD in the rear. In this same situation, transferring power would result in wheelspin at the rear without it. This would cause the transfer clutch to have to slip, or stop transferring. SEVERELY upsetting the balance of the car as it transitioned from 50/50 to 90/10.

Wow! I really need to stop thinking out loud!
I'm not really equipped for that.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.