View Single Post
Old 04-16-2001, 12:35 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Although not quite as "anal retentive" about the "cleanliness" of my SVX as some, I am very retentive about things "working." I've had some switch lights burned out for some time. Just prior to my last bout with "tranny work" I'd ordered OE bulbs to put in the switches that were not illuminated. After pulling the switches (and getting a couple of nicks after the electrical tape slipped on the screwdriver) and replacing the burnt bulbs and putting the switches back into their slots, I fired up the car to view the "light show." Don't you know the only bulb I DIDN'T have to replace was now blown! Grrr. I didn't want to wait for OE to arrive, so, I went to the Local Radio Shack, got the #272-1092 micro lamps (1.49 for a card of 2), went home, carefully unwired the spent bulbs from the (now) spare holders, carefully rolled the green "condom" off the spent bulb, wired the new microlamp into the holder, carefully replaced the "condom" on the new bulb (did this to three different ones) and put the newly refurbished bulbs into their respective slots (this time, using one of those nylon "pot scrapers" to remove the switchbanks -- no scratches or nicks this time). I can't tell a bit of difference between the switches illuminated with the OE bulbs and my "refurbished" ones (except when I look at the bill: 2.40 each for the OE bulbs -- remember, 1.49 for a card of 2 "replacement" bulbs). The thing with the OE bulbs is, you're paying for a new holder and "condom." Another bulb, however, I believe was like 2.80 (parking light switch illumination), which was actually merely a "shorter" bulb. All my switches light the way they're supposed to -- well -- except the "arrows" on the power mirror switch. I just found out they are "supposed" to be illuminated -- trouble is, when I pulled the switch and looked for bulb sockets, I could find none --- hmmmmm -- gonna have to look again. As long as I THOUGHT they weren't supposed to be illuminated, it wouldn't have bothered me. Now, it's a "quest."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 04-16-2001 at 12:39 PM.