View Single Post
Old 09-30-2002, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Basically the same as what mattski said, except:
I don't ever take off the big black shield to change the oil; if you crawl under the car and look up towards the radiator (front) you can see the oil filter. If you use FRAM filters they have the rubber on the end so I just tighten them by hand. Much easier than removing shield, using filter tools and then reinstalling shield. Just be aware that you'll get a little oil coming down into the shield

Also, I thought I'd add that even with the shield in the way, the SVX is the easiest car to change oil on, that I've ever tried anyway
As a newbie, I wanted to see where everything was, where the tranny cooler had just been installed, and where the tranny filter might fit. It took me 5 minutes to get it off and the same to put it back on, so I don't get the "warning" about never taking it off. I guess if the bolts are corroded, they might be a pain in the a**. I dipped them in the drained oil before putting them back in to reduce future corrosion.

As for ease, my Legacy is wonderful. The drain plug and filter are reachable without getting under the car. What a concept!
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.