View Single Post
Old 09-30-2002, 10:39 AM

Welcome to the network.

The SVX has a shield under the engine which can be removed to make the oil change experience easier. I would recommend it for a first time doer. Also, warm up the engine so the change is performed on warm oil.

I would suggest either driving the car onto ramps or lifting it and placing on jacks. Many ramps are too steep and will interfere with the front spoiler. Please observe the obvious safety practices so the car does not fall on you (place wheel chocks on rear wheels). There are small 10 mm (I think) bolts along the bumper and a couple along each side. Once the shield is removed, you can see the oil pan drain plug and filter. The pan is under the engine and do not confuse it with the auto trans pan. Remove the plug and drain the oil into a suitable container. Then remove the filter and allow the oil to also drain into container. Smear some clean oil on new filter gasket, screw on hand tight, replace drain plug, and refill with 6.5 qts of quality oil. Start engine, check for leaks, shut off engine, replace shield, lower car and you are off.

Lastly, congratulations on your purchase and on it being your first car. Do be careful and resist the urge to push this "rocket" until you have had some time to get used to it. It is a great car but its speed is deceptive and can lead to trouble.

Good luck,

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Last edited by mattski; 09-30-2002 at 10:50 AM.