View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 09:49 AM
red95svx

Re: more crank pulley questions

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
(old thread revival)

1) What’s with the disparity in Subaru parts pricing? My local parts guy at a national (aftermarket) chain, who recently saved me roughly 25% on the cost of an ECU coolant temp sensor and asked me to run any OEM part number by him before looking elsewhere, came in at $184, with no shipping charges unless I wanted the pulley before Friday. (I do.) A Subaru dealership on Atlanta’s northern fringe quoted $194, out the door. Three on-line OEM sources were in the $140 range, plus shipping. NOBODY had one in hand, which leads me to my next question (directed to Subaru of America):

2) Why can’t Subaru distribution centers drop-ship parts directly to those of us (and I’m sure there are many) who have no dealership nearby? I’d conduct business by phone or on-line with the dealership of my choice — be it in Atlanta or Anchorage — and pay their price, then they’d have the part shipped directly to me from the nearest warehouse that has the thing on the shelf. Simple. It's absurd to have to wait a couple of days while the part you need makes its way over some dealer's threshhold before even heading your way.

1) Subaru has a suggested retail price for their parts, but whether or not a particular dealer follows that suggestion is up to them. Why is the same DVD movie two different prices at the two Wal-Marts within 30 minutes of my house? Location. Apparently Wal Mart feels they can charge just a bit more at one location because of where the store is located. A suggested retail price is just that: a suggestion.

2) Does any car manufacturer do that? These warehouses are huge. I know I wouldn't want to look through miles of shelving to find some clip that I'm only making $.20 on for some guy in Alaska. But if the clip is part of some dealerships $7,000 daily stock order, I wouldn't mind. I agree with the warehouses: let the dealerships deal with the small stuff.

Just my thoughts

Dave