View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 AM

When I bought my car at 104,000+ miles, the hose between the condensor and compressor was porous; that is, there were dozens of tiny pinholes through which refrigerant was ever-so-slowly seeping. As I read of these hard-to-find AC leaks, I wonder in how many instances this hose may be the culprit.

My local garage upgraded my system to R-134 when they replaced this hose. Can't pass along a dollar figure as I don't have the receipt with me, but apparently the only hardware required to make the change is a filter/dryer (needed anytime the system is opened), which was in-stock at NAPA and cost, as I recall, in the neighborhood of fifteen bucks. The AC has worked great all summer. I've found that using the CIRC feature really helps hasten cooling when I first get rolling on really warm afternoon.

As to that "sweetish" odor, I've noticed an odd, musty aroma coming from the vents on occasion when I start the car, and surmise that this is caused by undrained condensation gone sour. Whatever; I doubt it's leaking refrigerant.

dcb