View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
If you're gonna build one yourself, I don't know...

If you look at the cnn site main page of the biz site today, it's probably not a smart way to go with hybrid car("at this point"), it costs more for the maintenance in the long run for the money you save on gas....
I haven't read the article but it sounds as though another journalist talking from where he should be doing something else. I'm hybrid certified with Ford and Honda platforms. It is really too soon for anyone to say yay or nay to their reliability and in regard to maintenance the reporter is waaay off base. Actually Ford's hybrid takes way less maintenance than a conventional vehicle. Oil changes are @ 10,000 miles (due to it not running constantly) and they battery pack is warranted 8/100,000 or 10/100,000 - depending on what state you live in. Brakes will last quite a bit longer (double or more, but nobody's bragging yet) due to regenerative braking, the generator absorbs most of the energy to recharge the batteries. The transmission consists of one planetary gearset and requires no maintenance.

IMHO the reporter is a genuine dumbass. The maintenance is less. The price of a hybrid Escape is ~$2700 more than a comparable gas model. Subtract a $2000 FedTax credit, more if you happen to live in a locality that also chips in.
A gas powered Escape will usually do ~17mpg in town, a hybrid will return ~35+mpg. It shouldn't take long to recoup that $700 difference after doubling your mpg, should it? If you can get your hands on one, and are in the market for a vehicle in that niche, you'd be nuts not to go hybrid.

If your local dealer has one available take it for a test drive, they're amazing. Between the 4 cylinder engine and the elctric drive there is more power available than with the V6. The hybrid can actually bark the tires. Then there is 'stealth' mode, perfect for sneaking into the garage late at night. Just taking it easy on the go pedal will keep it full electric up to 25-30mph and it's stone quiet. By the time you comer to a complete stop the engine has already been shut off. Lifting your foot from the brake pedal will allow the car to creep forward without touching the gas pedal, just as an automatic trans would do. They really did their homework to make the vehicle as free from changing habits as possible.

Sorry for the hijack, I'm just really impressed by the new technology. It's about time someone produced something new and useful - besides electric running boards and rain sensors that turn your wipers on for you.