View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Yes Mate, I know what model you have, and this is for the US Transfer system.

The Binding in the clutch can be from the clutch pact being set up too tight. When you build the transfer clutch up with new plates, you have to select a pressure plate to suit to thickness of the plates, too tight and it will bind, too loose and it will delay. Yours may be set up too tight, so along with the extra transfer pressure added for the difference in rotation, so it binds noticeably.

If this is the case, yours may settle down when the plates bed in and loosen up.

Harvey.
Okay, I think we might have a bit of a disconnect about what we're talking about here.

First, I have a 4.44 legacy transmission, with the matching 4.44 rear end on the car. There shouldn't be any weird speed differentials between front and rear diffs. The tranny and rear end came from a junk yard. They were not rebuilt (aside from installing the SVX LSD carrier in the rear-end). I doubt the transfer clutch plates need to bed in... besides I did the whole figure-8 thing, and the binding did not improve.

Second, the car briefly had a 4.11 rear end paired with the 4.44 front diff. It was driven maybe 20 miles like this *with the FWD fuse installed*. With the FWD fuse out, the car had undriveable binding at under walking speeds (like 2 mph). This is what I think oab_au is talking about, and it is not the problem I'm having.

Since I replaced the 4.11 rearend with a 4.44, the car drives fine in a straight line, but binds around tight corners. The standard binding that everyone gets with a busted Sol.C or worn transfer clutch.

I added the LSD friction modifier to my ATF, and my binding has been reduced, but not eliminated.

My questions were, "how does the additive work?", and "what's the procedure/parts necessary to rebuild the transfer clutch?"

I believe I know *why* I have binding (I drove the car w/ the wrong rearend on it, and even w/ the FWD fuse installed, it wore out my transfer clutch... i.e. the same thing that happens when someone tows the car on 2 wheels).

So, can anyone point me to a parts list and how-to for rebuilding the transfer clutch? I'd hate to take it to Subaru and try to get them to do it, since I get the feeling that telling them to treat it like a '96 Legacy 4.44 4EAT won't work, and they'll be jamming the transfer clutch for an SVX 4EAT in there!

Last edited by sperry; 01-25-2007 at 07:49 PM.