View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Who has purchased strut replacements from Subaru recently?

I'm under the impression that "sometimes" shouldn't be associated with "KONIs" and "leak".

Anyone with a hint of a clue in how manufacturing costs work will know that a super short production run of obscure parts is only a good way to burn off a lot of money. The expense of setup is absorbed in volume. If Subaru were to tool up and build 100 or even 500 sets of struts, they'd take a tremendous bath doing it. To produce them and not publicize it to SVX owners would be inane. These are NOT new parts - there is not a shred of evidence that Subaru has decided to burn a small fortune in producing parts for a quickly dying, short run car.

There are only a few suspension options now:

* Retrofit of modern hardware, a la Crazypilot. This is the forward thinking that the SVX needs in order to survive.
* Dredge up one of the remaining sets of KONIs, if they're not all officially gone.
* Use whatever Subaru stock is on the shelf.
* Wait and see what comes from the two emerging third party contenders.
* Admit defeat.

Disclaimer: The next sentence is directed at everyone, not just Tony.

You think Reading needs some effort? That's a butterfly fart in the hurricane of ways the SVX can go extinct. What do you do when there are no struts left?

I'll go right ahead and say it - if Dayle had half a brain in his head, he'd be tackling this problem right now, and he'd be raking in the profits, even without raking the SVXers over the coals. Leave the swaybar alone, Dayle. Why dick around with turf that's already covered? That doesn't help the community; it cheaply pads one wallet.

I have no apologies for Johnny, either. Pie in the sky aspirations of helping the SVX run with a broken leg won't offer a lot of return when the cobbled up pipes actually ship and SVXi are being parted in droves because no one can find a new strut.

I hold no regrets for owning my two former SVXi; there's nothing like them. One thing I will not miss, though, is the bleak future the car has ahead. Good luck, guys... you're gonna need it.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 07-23-2012 at 07:13 AM.