View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Who has purchased strut replacements from Subaru recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I've replaced rear struts and rear upper mounts on my silver SVX within the past couple of years. New parts came from Subaruparts.com in both instances. As noted here before, the left mount failed when I was making a turn about 250 miles from home and I knew from the sound and location of the racket that it couldn't have been much else, and upon removal both mounts (or what was left of 'em) looked as if they'd been salvaged from the bottom of the sea. The car is otherwise corrosion-free, but it spent its early years in snowy climes, whereas the teal is a lifetime sunbelt car.

On another trip, also a couple of hours from home, I hit a deep depression in the roadway at speed and the rear suspension bottomed hard, the right-side strut having blown.

Both times I drove home without incident, taking care to check my speed and mind curves and pavement irregularities, as the car was porpoising like Flipper on meth.

I looked for some sort of date stamp or code on the struts and packaging, but found none. Delivery was quick.

No troubles since.

dcb
Ironically, my car spent the first 14 years of its life in TN and northern GA! It spent one unprotected winter here in upstate NY before Krown opened a franchise near me. It got rust-proofed before last winter and will probably get the same treatment this year. So, I hope the rear mounts are OK. And it is the front where I am getting noises. For some time there has been a faint knocking or clunking sound I notice only at slow speeds on bumpy roads. No one has been able to find anything obvious as to the source and some people here suspected the strut. Now that noise is accompanied by a rubbery-squeaking noise. I'm going to check out all the rubbery bits again but, if it is a strut, I would like to look into my options. I actually like the stock ride.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything