View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Will

Power Mode Switch Installed, Very Pleased

So, I found myself very pleased with the results of about $5.00 and 2 hours of labor. I am now able to engage Power mode at the mere push of a button. I decided the best location to mount the switch was beside the parking lights switch which in the long run, has to be the worst. Not only did I have to mount the switch, I had to cut away a large amount of the plastic that deals with the parking light switch to allow room for the terminals, but I managed to do a good enough job not to disrupt the parking light switch function. If anyone is thinking of doing this mod, think of a better location. I'm using a On/Off push button, I think its a SPST ( Single pole, Single throw)?? but I dont know. Push it once its on, push it again, its off. But after I got the switch situated it was on to the wiring. I found it easier to push the wire into the TCU harness while it was still connected to the TCU, plus this way you wont risk bending a pin on the male side of the TCU. I striped about an inch of insulation off the 18 guage wire and cut about 5 strands of wire off and twisted the rest together and just shoved it in the connector. I used the 10mm nut that holds the inside fuse panel steady as my ground. I was thinking of using the screw that holds the under steering wheel cover inplace behind the mirror adjuster, but I wanted to make sure the ground was good and i've had bad experiances using dash sheet metals.
So, in conclusion, I think this mod has got to be one of the BEST BANG FOR BUCK mods out there! I would suguest this mod to anyone as long as you use a better location than I did. The pay off is well worth the clostrofobic feeling you get from dislocating you're sholders and shiming you head under you're brake pedel. I think the car feels like it should have from the factory. It feels like its getting its stuff together faster and just feels more positive. Like I said, It feels like a car with 230 hp and nearly 3800 lbs should feel. I love it and highly suggest it!!!
Will