View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Re: $36 Replacement ignition coils?

Pictures of the ignition coil install. Just the one for now. Paycheck on friday will allow for 5 additional more. Also a few quick pictures of the battery relocation, and my hood louvers to reduce the under hood temps.

Here you can see the space that was freed up by the removal of the overflow tank and canister style fuel filter. Oddly enough, the new inline filter flows better than the old style. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-562-1/
Just that swap alone gives the car a bit more get up and go. And the old filter that I removed only had 2k miles on it. I was surprised.

Originally I had fabricated up aluminum mounting brackets that would act as a flat platform to mount the coils to. However it seems that they will be more compact and in all honesty look better, simply mounted using the supplied mounting hardware directly to the well.
Three coils will fit perfectly in the orientation.

The engine bay

The battery relocation. Fyi.. do NOT get this relocation kit from summit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6279/

I dont know WTF Mr. Gasket was thinking when designing this kit, but there is no way in hell it will work. The battery clamp bracket is too wide for the battery box to secure the battery. It mounts to the box itself to hold it down. But the box is so flimsy that it bows out with even the slightest amount of tension. So i dont know what the heck they expect you to secure your battery with. I guess just let it flop around in there. The mounting bolts have thread on them for miles... below where you would normally bolt something. If your mounting surface is directly below the box (duh..) then you will need to create a 2" spacer in order to not run out of thread on the bolt while tightening it down.
Lastly, the top strap is directly in the center of the box. How the hell am i supposed to bolt this thing down? Drill holes in the strap to mount into the floor?

Again.. What the hell?

Any way. A few pictures of the louvers. A DRASTIC drop in under hood temps. To the point that after 10 minutes of 120 mph driving, the intake was still cool to the touch.
This was more or less a proof of concept install. There is a area of low pressure on the hood where i mounted the louvers. I noticed this after rain on the hood remained static there while at speed on the highway.
This was also proven after the install when on a cold night i hosed down the engine while hot thus creating copious amounts of steam. I shut the hood. A fair amount of steam escaped. Once I started driving, steam was sucked out of the bay Far more rapidly than at a stop.
This will be refined a bit more with a fiberglass hood in the future.

Last edited by smc; 04-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.