View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 01:06 PM

front left abs sensor

Yesterday I fitted a new wheel bearing to the front left but I must have damaged the abs sensor when I removed or refitted it.

Now living in the UK I will have to ship the sensor from a supplier in the US or pay stuuupid money for it from a uk dealer.

But I have in my stash of parts a pair of used rear hubs that the seller had just cut off the handbrake cable and the abs sensor wire with 3" of tail. So I stripped back some of the wire on each sensor and put an ohmmeter on them. One of them metered at infinity (like my bust one) and the other metered at 900ish ohms (i think but didn't pay attention to the value as as long as it wasn't infinity).
So I spliced it to my cable, solder, heat shrink and tape for good measure. Putting it back in the hub i realised the one problem was that the fixing plate was not at the right angle to be able to bolt down, clear the cv boot and have the sensor tip oriented correctly. Fortunately the hole for the sensor in the hub is a tight fit so the sensor is wedged in for now. I will make a little bracket to attach to the sensor and the hub when I get time.

So all in this took me 3/4 of an hour and now have the abs all working, well no warning light on the dash as I haven't jumped on the pedal to test it that far.

Cheap fix