View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: valvetrain options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I am having the cylinder head of my eg33 cleaned up with a mild port and polish and was considering having the guy install a set of higher performance intake/exhaust valves and springs. I've searched through the site and could find only the set offered by mike (longassname), along with the camshafts, which are no longer separately available.

What performance intake/exhaust valves and springs are compatible with our stock hydraulic set up? Are there any compatible wrx parts?

I could be asking this competely wrong, meaning, I cannot consider what size intake/exhaust valves to get without knowing what sort of cam gears I'll be running, but I thought it i'd ask anyway as I am still a newbie when it comes to this...thanks. chris
Hi Chris, there is nothing really other that a set of new springs, that is compatible with hydraulic lifters, and hydraulic lifters are not compatible with high rpms.
So if you are not going to run the engine up around the 7500 rpm, then stick with hydraulics and lower rpms.

If you are going to run in the higher rpms then you will need solid lifters, longer duration cams, a exhaust header with longer branches, and a shorter inlet tract. Not to mention needing better rods, and all the other things that it will need to operate reliably, at the higher rpm range.

Of course if you are going to add forced induction, the WRX conversion will allow the use of Sodium cooled exhaust valves.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.