Thread: Formal SVX Club
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2001, 09:06 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Randy-

Glad to see the interest growing in a formal organization. When I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago, it got only a couple of replies. I will reiterate what I posted there - I feel that a formal organization is absolutely necessary, for all the reasons mentioned above, plus a couple. One of the major concerns I have about an informal organization, such as we have now, revolves around the very medium that we are using to communicate with at the moment. While Chris deserves all credit possible for establishing this site, what will happen if: 1. The demands on his time, and his priorities change? He's putting a lot of time and effort into this, but what will happen if he is no longer able to donate the rather massive amounts of time that maintaining this site requires? With a formal club, maintenance and administering the club web site would become a budget item. That way, it wouldn't be dependent upon the good will of an individual. And, Chris, please don't misread this. I'm not for a moment doubting your dedication and willingness to do this. I'm just thinking of various contingencies. 2. A formal club could probably benefit from an at least-part time staff person, just to keep track of things. 3. Incorporation - an important consideration, from at least two points. First, liability issues arising from officially sponsored events. For example - we have a meet. A parade of SVXs is passing through Wherever, USA. A gawker loses his focus, and runs his new $50K SUV into a tree, and tries to blame us. Second, tax issues.

All the other items mentioned are great ideas - a year long calendar of events, organized voice to lobby SOA, newsletter, etc.

As you mentioned, I have had some experience in drafting constitutions and by-laws for organizations. I was on the committee that drafted the constitution for the Marshall University chapter of AFT, I've worked on the constitution of our local neighborhood association constitution (incorporated as a not-for-profit), plus a couple of others. I am currently working on a draft of a mission statement, and will begin a draft constitution shortly. I'll post these either in this thread, or the other. It may be of value to keep this thread as the discussion, and place documents in the other. That way, interested parties can pop over to one thread to read the drafts, then back to the other to discuss and comment. I'm suggesting this as an interim procedure.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and have a whole bunch of other little notions brewing. But, bottom line, I think it's an absolutely necessary step to take. Let's keep kicking it around here, and at the April meets. Meanwhile, I'll keep working on drafts, and post them when available.

Please excuse the somewhat lengthy post, but as I said, I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.