View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Trunk Fuel Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thanks Ian this has been a tedious process as you will understand.

(1) “When I got the engine running normal, I would unplug the fuel control module from under the deck lid, yet the car would continue to run normally.”

Therefore the resistor is completing the pump ground circuit.

(2) “Yet when I unplug it (The resistor), the car starts. When its plugged in it does not.”

Therefore when the only the modulator is in circuit and the pump is running at a controlled speed and pressure the car starts, but when the resistor is connected in parallel with the modulator it does not start, possibly due to high pump speed and abnormal fuel pressure.

The final power transistor in the modulator is NPN and is switching on when the driver PNP is switched on via the ECU at c14. The ECU ground switching circuit must be OK as the pump relay is operating OK.

Conclusion:-

A short to ground within the resistor housing would result in the pump always running at full speed and this would account for the strange situation as per (1), the failure to start as per (2) and also other erratic engine behaviour. Furthermore the pump must draw a lot more current than one would expect.

Alternatively, both resistors measured are faulty and have reduced in value, which would be extremely unusual and unlikely but not impossible. Unfortunately the correct specifications can not be located.

Check the resistor for an internal short to ground.
Attention "theflystyle",

Unfortunately we have become side tracked and must get back on the main line and wait until the resistor in your car is checked for for an internal short to ground. Only at that point can other possibilities be considered.

By the way a Christian name would assist towards personalising this discussion. As you can see we are all friends here. LOL

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 12-12-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: words added