View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Exclamation Re: Initial hesitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzem View Post
I don't have a fix but I have the same problem. I thought I'd let you guys know

The "rich running engine" theory sort of makes sense to me though… Like most other members here I let my car idle for at least 1-2 minutes before I go to work in the morning but I’ve noticed two things that nobody else had mentioned in this thread:

1. Right after the carts starts my RPMs go up and down 3-4 times. It’s sort of a like a wave pattern. Up and down until it settles at around 2100rpms. Anybody else with the same symptoms? It only happens when the engine is cold.

2. The second thing is that my exhaust smells a little funny when I first start the car. It is a rather strong smell of unburned fuel. Does that mean the car runs rich? If so, would that have anything to do with the sensors everybody is talking about?

My car is a ’92 and has 160K so that could be the problem itself L I have no clue how the guy before me took care of the car – I bought it off an auction. On a side note: I also have problems starting the car… Sometimes I have to try 2-3 times in the morning…

Thanks!
Nick
The start/clicking issue is usually caused by a bad ground wire somewhere. Mostly, that odd,short wire going from the negative battery post to the car frame just underneath the battery. Any corrosion on this 'CHARGING WIRE' I call it will cause many car issues i.e.- NO START, CLICKING before start, poor idle, battery drain or dead batteries, poor charging from alternator are all symptoms of this ground wire not terminated properly to the chassis.
Replace this wire and it's connectors. Use a thicker, higher grade wire and when connecting it to the chassis grind orsand down to metal for excellent ground (your car will run great when you do it like this) and I learned to put on some clear RV silicone over the connector to keep it from oxidizing.
I just did this (again after 10 years) on my 1992 SVX when this 'CLICKING' no-start issue started again last year and... NO MORE embarrassing start issues.
So, ignore the mechanic when they say it's a battery/starter issue. The clicking no start is most always a ground issue going on. ��

To add: Battery drain while the car is off is commonly caused by a faulty door solenoid --. Have a mechanic disconnect this door solenoid if you experience elusive, dead batteries. Just my 0.02¢

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 06-15-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Dead batteries?