View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Paint - Custom or Stock

Ok well lets put it this way - my '92 pearl needs new paint - I love the two tone (black/white) look so the top is staying black and the bottom white.

I am however having trouble deciding on one of two things.

Option 1 - Use factory Pearl paint codes to repaint the white.

Option 2 - Use a slightly brighter Pearl Paint and add slight gold flakes that light up only under sunlight. This way when car is not in the sun the white is vibrant and stands out without the gold flakes and when in the sun it it shines and stands out.

As of right now, I am leaning for option 2 - because when I saw the paint I was immediatly attached to its uniqueness and visible vibrant qualities. Also the paint company I am purchasing it from says they have never mixed this colour for a customer yet, therefore I would be the only one in my city with this colour.

I also do not want to change my car too much from OEM and I love the pearl paint, but mine is faded and the clearcoat is peeling badly, so I am not seeing the true original colour as i should be.

I know this is very opinionated but they are appreciated. If this was any other car than an SVX i would not hesitate to paint it the pearl/gold flake. I only hesitate because I know the re-sale is usually better if all original.

I guess what i really want to know is - would you buy an SVX with a slightly different paint than original? Assuming it looks really good with the new paint?

Thanks,
Rob