View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Lanshark
wow, thanks for showing me the light!
i've owned 3 GM cars, my family more than i count, friends, etc. i've owned them, driven them, worked on them. believe it or not, the SVX is my first *Japanese* car, in addition to being my first Subaru. guess what? i just wish someone would have shown me the Subaru light sooner. *i* like them better than GM! YOU like GM products - good for YOU! if it makes you feel better about yourself, i'd choose a GM over a Ford or Chrysler - if i had no other choice.
We've been over this already. The issue here is not your personal preference. I think it's very obvious at this point how you feel about certain brands of cars. That's great, and has no effect on my opinion of you whatsoever. The issue here is the continued hypocracy that exists in this forum. If one American car is bad, then they all are...however if one Subaru is bad, that's just an insolated case...a lemon, and does not properly represent the brand. Get it straight.

Quote:
ah, back to the "more people have X, so X MUST be better" arguement! if you must join the masses, then convert to Islam, eat at McDonald's every meal, buy your consumer electronics at Walmart, and enjoy your life of mediocrity.
It's amazing how you twist every argument about GM into a numbers argument. That's not what I said at all. I'm saying there are more LUMINA LOYALS...people who would say the lumina is a great car. Not just people that have owned one. So i'm saying there are more people out there that would say the lumina is one of the best cars out there than there are people who would say the same about any Subaru model. How many people do you know that would say McDonald's makes some of the best food there is? Or that Wal-Mart carries all the best brands? This is what i'm talking about...not just people who have owned the car, but people who have owned it and loved it.

Quote:
yes, GM didn't, for example, rush the Monaro-to-GTO into production and use some its old (but getting better!) quality control standards. from Car & Driver:...
You (conveniently) neglected to mention that the Car & Driver test used a preproduction car. Kind of an unfair example. Should I mention Automobile Magazine's test of the Preprodution STI? That was a disaster...but rarely are tests of that sort ever without problem. OR maybe I should talk about Car & Driver's test of the PRODUCTION Baja. No? Yeah didn't think so.

Also for the billionth time - IT WORKS BOTH WAYS

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Precisely the problem. I don't want to do business with General Motors, nor with Microsoft or Wal-Mart....

Unfortunately, the way the world works, consumers have fewer and fewer real choices.
Good luck to you my friend. What you mentioned is pretty much impossible. Do you use bank ATM's? If so then chances are you've used microsoft software. Have you taken the bus or train lately? Many city buses are using Natural gas/Diesel motors produced by GM and Isuzu. GP30/GP50 series train locomotives use diesels built in part by GM. Taxis? Nuff said there. Wal-Mart is so embedded in today's department store market, it's impossible not to be affected by it. If you buy products from Kraft/Nabisco, Keebler, Frito Lay (to name a few) then you are helping to support Wal-Mart. The store holds a massive share in each company's sales and therefore has a ton of pull in each company. These companies all but depend on Wal-Mart to survive. Each time you buy any of those products (and thousands of others), you are supporting Wal-Mart whether you like it or not.

I'm not saying it's right, just that you should get used to it cause it's not getting any better.

Plus how is Subaru any different than the huge companies? They use the same business practices, just on a smaller scale. To say that the cars are better or that they care about the customer more because they are a smaller company is just buying into their advertising. Also remember that NOW when you buy a Subaru, you are helping to support GM