Thread: pistons n cams
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Re: pistons n cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I am indeed an airframe mechanic, but unfortunately do not have my A&P liscense. But I have done everything from joining sections of the fuselage to doing landing gear changes to installing pressure domes (all on commercial aircraft). I want to get my pilots liscense in the near future as my employer will pay for ground school. Something that I will probably be looking into soon. How long have you had your private liscense?
I started lessons when I was 15, didn't get around to finishing up until I was 19. Aviation is a fun world to be a part of I'm actually planning on building a BearHawk if I can ever find the time to finish up and sell (most of) the project cars...and I can assure you, that one is not going to be a project I'll be budget-minded about.

The best advice I can give you in terms of getting your pilot's license, is do it as quickly as possible. You don't make hardly any progress if you're only flying a couple hours a month...and every lesson just becomes a refresher from last time if you don't make a serious effort to get through it as quickly as possible. I was pretty casual about it for the first several years, but I finally just gritted my teeth and got it done over a couple of months of serious focus on it. Consequently, I had something like 80 hours to get through it, when a crash-course'll get you done in more like 40-50.