Thread: pistons n cams
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM

Registered SVX
Re: pistons n cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
11:1 comp ratio.

What if it doesn't have to be perfect, though? Is it a corner worth cutting? The expense makes me think that it could be. I mean, I have 2 spare engines, one complete in a parts car and one just the longblock. So from a reliability standpoint, I could handle losing an engine. I realize it wouldn't be anywhere near as reliable as what you'll be running, but for half the cost, I think I could live with that.

I'm gonna talk with LAN and see what he thinks considering he's the one who designed the pistons in the first place, but if it's worth a try, I'll go for it next semester.

I'm feeling you about the cost issue. My current SVX (the one in my sig was in a wreck ) only cost $800. I can't see spending more than a few thousand on the engine.
This is where it becomes a personal preference. I plan to have this car to give to my first child, if and when that happens. It may not be realistic but I think it can be done. This is my second car, and honestly the first one I have seriously turned wrenches on. I am paying for performance, but even more so for memories, satisfaction, and knowledge. I could honestly have the engine blow up, and not freak out. I would he upset, sure. But if I couldn't live with it, I wouldn't build it. I AK not saying my engine will last forever. Or even 100k. But here's to hoping it will.

As far as talking with Michael, my experiences lead me to believe this is the right move. He is realistic, very knowledgeable, and most important is not a parts pusher. If he says it's the way he would do it, it is because if it were his car he would.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted