View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 04:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I did the brake band adjustment this past Saturday.
Once you get all the stuff out of the way and can get a wrench on the locking nut; here are the steps:

First, loosen the 17mm locking nut by turning it counterclockwise.

Second, turn the 8 mm, square, brake band adjusting rod clockwise untill you feel it drag. Be careful that the locking nut does not tighten as you turn the brake band adjusting rod clockwise or this will be the cause of the drag. If it does, loosen it up with your finger (CRC-56 is a wonderful thing). Repeat the procedure as required.

Third, when you think that the adjustment is complete, tighten the locking nut with the 17mm wrench by turning it clockwise. Make sure it is really tight.

Now put everthing (airbox & vac. hoses) back. Now go wash your hands real good (and don't forget to scrub those fingernails). Then go out and test drive the car to check the difference. Good Luck.

I know that the shop manual says to torque the brake band adjusting rod to a certain value then back it off 3 full turns. But I cannot possibly see how anyone can get any kind of torque wrench on the rod while the tranny is still in the car. I discussed this exact point with one of the good SVX service techs at Rafferty Subaru and he said that you can only set the torques when the tranny is out of the car on its dolly , not in the car. When the tranny is in the car you have to "guess by the feel."
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 03-28-2005 at 04:48 AM. Reason: speeeling