View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Auto swap options

First off, ignore everything here Surtees. You have a VTD transmission and everyone seems to forget that not everyone here is in the US...

For you over there, you can use any TURBO auto and swap the rear diff as well into your SVX from ~91-97, possibly 98's but you guys get model years "a year early" compared to us here. Just ensure there is no spin on filter on the side of the transmission. You can find info on the rear diff swap in svxfiles signature. Besides that, it's a matter of swapping the speed sensor. Everything else will bolt up and operate just fine for you guys. If you are unsure of what year the trans is, you will need to swap the C solenoid from your transmission into the replacement. This is relatively easily done by opening up the rear of the transmission. The reason for this is that the 90-95 VTD boxes use a normally open solenoid while 95+ use a normally closed. (or vice versa, i never remember but you get the idea) The TCU has to match the C sol type.

As for transmissions from other manufacturers, no, you cannot use them whatsoever. No other transmission is the same. They are Jatco designs which means some internal parts will swap, most notably friction materials. But other than that, they're going to use different cases, bellhousing, etc. I'm not aware of any other Jatco transmission that even has a built in front differential for an AWD system. Any of the Nissan pathfinder, Mazda MPV, etc all use a divorced transfer case.

Last edited by 1986nate; 10-28-2014 at 05:07 PM.