View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: US over to europan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
This would be an interesting experiment if it were being done by an SVX expert at their own expense. But we have several respected experts here all giving conflicting advice, arguing over the details and possibly pushing forward their own agendas. This helps nobody.

As far as I can tell, Alex doesn't have a full understanding of the gearbox internals, nor the proposals being discussed, nor of the many, sometimes heated, discussions that have taken place in the past. He just wants to get his car fixed.

I really don't want to get involved in another flame war and I certainly don't want to take sides since I respect all the parties involved.

Swapping the C solenoid and using a Euro TCU to drive a US transmission has never been attempted before. The computer program in the TCU that controls the gearbox was not designed for this and there is a good chance it will not work properly. If Alex is lucky then it may be drivable, but I strongly suspect that in some situations, the 4WD is not going to work as designed.

Putting a US transmission into a European car has been done before. A uk owner did it some years ago. He fitted a US transmission, US rear diff, and US TCU. Some wiring changes were needed, but it worked. After driving the car for a while, he decided that the performance of the US trans was inferior to the European one and he sold the car and bought another. The modified car was bought by someone in Germany.

I think this is a safer option than what is being proposed above. The parts are all designed to work together, the only changes are to the car's wiring loom for the VSS2 and atmospheric pressure sensor. But it's not a massive change. The wiring diagrams are already on the website. Plus, it's been done before, and proven to work.

The absolute best option IMHO is to sell the US parts and obtain the correct Euro parts. Anything else will be substandard compared to the equipment originally fitted to this car.

That's the last I'm going to say on the matter. I really wish Alex good luck in fixing his car and I hope it doesn't end up costing too much.
You have hit the nail on the head without beating a dead horse. It will not function as designed but it will not bind the transmission in normal driving situations which can and will cause internal damage.

I agree it would be best to fit a US TCU but where is going to find someone who will be capable of doing the needed wiring changes and do it right?

I personally would put it back to a VTD trans because they work much better than the US variant.

All I am trying to do is get it so he has a car to drive and not worry about breaking the internals because of his binding issues.

Tom