View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Question Did I do the right thing?

Wife was in SoCal last Weds-Sun visiting the kids and Grandson, and seeing her Sis up from San Diego. I was at home icing up a growler of Beerman's best Heffeweisen for the Bowl at some friends, when she called on her way home. About an hour later, just prior to my departure, she comes up on the Caller-ID, uh-oh!!

Says she's on the South side of the Grapevine just outside Castaic, by the roadside. Stopped cuz the Legacy sounded like it was dragging something, but nothing there. Now it won't start(click-). No overheating, so I'm still hopeful. Have her check for obvious signs, oil puddles, mess under the hood, etc and nothing shows. Subsequent try to start makes "Horrible" noise, aw $hIt!! Call CSAA for a flatbed to Subie dealer in Bakersfield, and once she arrives and have some friends there (whew! they're home!) on the way to pick her up, I head out to party.

Check in with dealer Monday, and I'm told motor is shot, most likely rod/bearing/bottom-end toasted. Car has 165K on her and now comes the dilemma. Spend some major dough on new short-block, used motor, or look for a new ride. Asked her, to be told "NO CAR PAYMENT!" and willing to drive it for a couple more years b4 getting something quieter(grown up car).

So, long story semi-short: my shop guy is leaving 7am Weds with car trailer to fetch it, and her, on my dime, about 300mi each way. New short-block, re-use heads with 40K old valve-job, surfaced and cleaned up, new T-belt, Exedy clutch and "snout kit', gasket set, H2O pump, etc etc. Bottom line $5K plus transportation. We both love the car and she looks 3 yrs old, not 9, check my locker. Dumb? Sentimental? Mental? Realistic?Remember, this is California, and dealer was guessing $6-7K.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket