View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484
I wouldn't actualy, because if the mobo is damaged, putting another proc in there mite do, what us techs call, Insta-Fry (even faster then happy meals LOL)

Anytime something like that happens, its best practice to go ahead and replace the mobo/Proc

if you check on newegg.com they got some good Motherboard/CPU Combos that arn't too high in the price range that will atleast get you back up and running

(if you dont want to loose all your information/programs/etc, when you install the new Mobo/Proc, just get your windows CD, and install over the existing data, do NOT format, just reinstall, that way windows updates its hardware information for the new mobo/proc and doesnt trip out, one trick you'll never hear any major tech support tell you, they rely on the "use the recovery disk and it will put all our bullcrap back on that you didnt want in the first place" method LOL)
Thanks for the tip. I was planning to just pick up a new P4 and pop it in

Got a 2.4GHz P4 chip w/fan+sink on my way via eBay for $45, and grabbed a refurb P4 478 socket mobo off newegg for $25.

I've learned a long time ago to reinstall and not reformat. I also keep most of my data files on a seperate physical drive so they are not [easily] lost and can be swapped into another comp if necessary.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300