View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 05:24 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484
Honestly, that should not have happened, I belive the Motherboard you were using was not reading the correct temps from the processor, because both the processor and motherboards for P4s (usaly) have temp sensors, where incase of the event where there is not even a heatsink, the processor slows down to a craw, and even halts... but once the heatsink TOUCHES the processor, it speeds back up. I've done this Multipull times on my P4 3.0E and my old 1.6ghz P4 because people didnt belive me at the time when I told them about that feature.

Anyway, Hope you can get the replacement parts ya need... the old P4's are getting harder to find now with the rise of the Pentium D's out there
From everything I've read, you're right, it shouldn't have happened. I really can't complain much though, the entire computer cost me $80 about two years ago (which is probably why it's now borked, I can imagine the mobo from an $80 computer has great thermal protection...). It's just an inconvenience at the moment since I use the comp as my TV and my laptop gets crummy wireless reception.

Is there any way I can see if the mobo is damaged without swapping in another processor? Everything still powers on if I turn it on, but there's nothing on the screen.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300