View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Re: FRESH START: Alternator Wiring Upgrade Configuration

So,

I guess there is no consensus on how to properly shore up an aging electrical system.

The alternator wires, for some reason redundant, and the voltage regulator wires are both baked brittle on my car, and are becoming an issue as the insulation fails. I have already had the VR wires spark to ground on one of the AC compressor bolts.

I have tried to shore up the insulation, but the condition is not improving.

The heat of the engine bay is also a fact, and it isn't helping the matter.

The under-current condition is obvious in the dimming of every light on the car, and brightening above idle. Even if the alternator's under-specification is the problem, aging, and heat-worn wiring is not going to help, and is going to need to be replaced.

Replacement with OE grade is going to wear again in the same manner. It also may not suit a higher output alternator to help solve the energy deficit at idle.

So how exactly are those of us without electrical engineering degrees supposed to parse out of this lengthy discourse, what the proper course is to restore safe, better than stock, and fail-safe charging system wiring?

Is a fuse or a fusible link back in place between the battery and the alternator the only issue here? Is there a specific part that will perform better than SVXcess's fuse, which he was less than satisfied with? What is the execution of your information, Trevor? I understand your motivation, and you may be correct, but I am more concerned with the practical implementation at this point.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 09-03-2009 at 08:50 PM.