Thread: tranny resister
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2004, 10:56 PM
deruvian

When I removed the resistor on my SVX, I definitely noticed some pros and cons...

When accelerating at speeds of 30 - 35 mph and above, the shifting is very quick and definitely a little hard. The *typical* SVX tranny shifts nice and smooth with the resistor plugged in, but removing it eliminates the smoothness by forcing full line pressure, and thereby forcing quicker shifting. This makes for less wear and tear on the tranny, and definitely a little less heat buildup.

However, at cruising speeds below 30 - 35 mph, the tranny hunts for gears a lot. This sort of creates continuous and unnecessary shifting, which is also very quick and pretty hard (just like above). It seems to hunt a little bit less when the gear selector is in "D" rather than "3".

The "controlled" smooth shifting with the resistor plugged in isn't technically healthy for your transmission, but my guess is that the continuous gear-hunting isn't entirely healthy for your transmission either.

Take your pick... But I would ultimately install the Smallcar stage 1 shift kit if I were you. It is a very simple install, doesn't cost much, and will give you the pros of both the resistor being plugged and unplugged... on the fly.