View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
It takes more energy to restart the car than it does to leave it running. Don't forget all the power you drain restarting it is simply going to be re-energized by the alternator causing you to burn more gas. Not to mention the car is using more gas to start than it does to idle for 2 minutes

Tom
It shouldn't use much fuel at all to restart at a stoplight. Sure, when you start the car cold it dumps a lot of fuel in, but when starting warm it *should* be injecting the same amount of fuel as a normal idling stroke of the engine. Shutting it off for 10 seconds is likely not beneficial, but a minute or two should be. Granted, I'm going off of typical operation and the SVX may prove to be different. It's already proven me wrong a time or two.

Personally, I drive the car and put in 91 octane when the needle gets low. If I'm worried about economy, I'll drive the Miata (until the engine is pulled). If an extra $5 of gas every week or two is something a person gets worked up over, then a luxury sports car likely isn't a good choice in cars for him/her. Just my $0.02 though.