Old 02-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Talking Oliver Torque

Quote:
Originally posted by greg
I guess I am one of those stock US people. I just love the car the way it came and i think you are taking away from it to mod it in those ways. Not only visually but mechanically. That car was built for a mature distinguished luxury sport car ride. I beleive the best class to compare would be the Lexus sc 300-400.

Saying that, I know the amount of effort that went into the SVX was great and I have had many Subarus in my time too. That car was advanced in every way and 12 years later it is still equal to the cars being produced in the mid class. That right there says alot. I like it just the way it is supposed to be! But I will tell you what, I spend more $ than my friends who mod out there cars, to just keep mine in good condition. If it keeps going like that I would never be able to afford to mod the car.

Oh well, top each there own.

-G
Please Sir, I want more.

Greg, I am with you in spirit. I like the car exactly as it is. So much so in fact, that I would like it to be able to do MORE of the same.

Having been in a number of clubs where there is a keen connoisseur of the marque [any marque or car, all have their champions] who believes the car to be perfect, I respect this approach, very conservative and respectful of the achievements of the designers. This approach normally takes the view there is no room for improvement, or improvement is not necessary, or often, improvement will make the car "non-standard", a mortal sin and capital crime combined.

While respecting this viewpoint, I don't hold with it. Any car can be optimised within the spirit of the original design, which will have had compromises for cost and marketing reasons. Nobody can expect me to believe that the SVX gearbox should fail as often as it does, or the rear bearings, or the brakes could not be better, or the lights are adequate for the speeds achievable.

These are the places I would expect and like MORE. My best expectation would be to achieve more torque, better braking, better transmission reliability, better lights, and all of this while keeping the car looking, sounding and feeling exactly the same as it now does.

In other words I am looking to improve on the faults of the original, not MODIFY [I know, I know, a dirty word! ] the car. For anyone who can't see the faults in the original design, ignore this post, you will not understand the need.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl