View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Technical Requests for Assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Those posting for assistance, please take notice.

N.B. A great deal of time and effort is expended by many here in answering technical questions. It is becoming prevalent for those asking for help, to put only the minimum of effort into posting proper details. It is understood that many may lack word skills, but lack of effort confirms sheer selfishness.

(1) Please, think on the subject before asking, and set out the problem in a logical order. In this regard use the return key. Separate each point within a paragraph.

(2) Please, appreciate that tabulating paragraphs, (1), (2), (3) ---- , will assist both the writer, and most importantly those posting replies, by providing easily nominated reference points.

(3) Please, put yourself in the place of a reader offering you their help. Consider whether your wording could be in any way confusing; not exact; lack some important detail.

Ask yourself, am I putting as much effort into this my request, as I am expecting others to kindly give freely in return?

(4) Please, use the preview button, reconsider carefully, and edit before finally posting.

(5) Please, please, please. --- Carefully decide on a thread heading so that your query is properly described. Stupid headings ensure that those kindly offering assistance, are called upon to scroll through endless threads, in order to decide which may fall within their area of expertise.

(6) Please, please, do not insert an unrelated request for assistance within an existing thread, such that this will add complication and confusion. Convoluted technical threads are tending to become the order of the day and this is causing endless frustration.

(7) Frankly --- Those who might regard the above suggestions as representing an unnecessary burden, exhibit absolute selfishness and do not warrant the kindness on offer here.

(8) Reading Threads --- It is noticeable that often specific answers to a problem, become over ridden as a result of superfluous posts. Those requiring information should always back track to their last post, so that they do not miss out on vital information sometimes concealed.

(9) It is important that information posted as a technical fact is exactly correct, as other members will make this assumption and act on advice posted. As a result incorrect information could be very much to their disadvantage. In the event that an error of this sort of becomes posted, for the good of all, it should be queried and corrected.

A check list has been suggested. Therefore I now provide what should be helpful ----

Please, include the following vital information:-

1.) Year, mileage and where originally sold. (JDM, USDM, etc.)

2.) Modifications that could in any way be related to the issue.

3.) Advise in detail exactly what was happening when the malfunction became evident. Every clue is important and helpful in respect of an accurate diagnosis.

4.) Report any environmental circumstances accompany the problem (e.g. only happens when it is raining.)

5.) Detail the current state of troubleshooting (i.e. Exactly what has already been attempted in an effort to fix the issue.)

6.) Use your eyes and ears. Report all sounds, warning lights, and associated malfunction that accompany the problem.

7.) Advise level of technical experience - No use telling someone that a specific pulsoid or check valve may be involved, if they do not have a grasp of technical terms.

In view of the confused and frustrating threads which have recently developed, it is a shame that the admin did not follow through and fully support this decade old sticky which heads up the Technical Forum but unfortunately does not become noticed as it is more or less concealed..

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 12-12-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Type made bold.