View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 02:15 AM

Rx7 Wheel Weight?

I wasn't aware there was any weight difference in Gen III Mazda RX7 wheels. There does seem to be a difference of opinion as to just what they really weigh. I got mine from a local Mazda race shop and when I carried them they were light! But even though I am a Weightlifting coach, I can't say for sure my wheels weighed less than 15-18 lbs, but definitely less than 20. I have a naked wheel I can weigh to see for sure.
How can you tell what year a wheel is?
I'll ask if the race shop knows what the weight is or if they know of that large of a weight variance by year.
Frankly I find it hard to believe wheels of this size could only be 12 lbs. The only 15lb. 16x8 wheel I've seen is a v. expensive forged racing wheel. That's why the RX7 wheels are such a great value. You can put some big meats on your wheels (I've got 245/45 Avon Tech M500s) with no rubbing with stock ride height. And your saving several lbs. of unsprung weight over the OEM wheels, which I think are 25 lbs. If that's accurate, with a larger tire a 245 weighing 2-3 more lbs than a 225, you are still at least 5-7 lbs lighter at each corner. More traction,improved acceleration, better ride, better handeling and better stopping. Subtle improvements, but improvements your seat will feel.
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 03-13-2006 at 02:19 AM.