View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 05:09 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Hello Harry

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
Well, the first thing is when using a long (6') prybar, DON'T pull it directly towards your face!

The one I bought was devastated (pics in my locker), so I haven't been too careful removing things to get the parts I wanted (engine, rear suspension/diff, sensors, etc.) I have no salvagable body parts except possibly the rear bumper skin. The car strips down easily, most fasteners are 10mm,12mm, or 14mm and remove easily which I found surprising considering the age of the car and where I live in MI. I've been using a cutting torch, a reciprocating saw, an impact wrench, and my air ratchet to tear it down. The torch has been handy due to the structural distortion in the frame/body.

Before I dug into the project I tried to ID the parts I wanted to remove by scouring my service manual and the diagrams at subaruparts.com. I looked for expensive components(just about all parts are expensive), motorized stuff, and parts that could be rebuilt like the starter and alternator. So far I've removed the master cylinder and brake booster, rear suspension/diff, wheels, front brake tone wheels, ABS system, power antenna, tail lamps, a variety of sensors in the trunk under the package shelf, intake hose, and easy to remove engine components like the TB. The engine comes out tomorrow along with interior parts and electonics (ECU, TCU, timer controller). After that it's off to the scrap yard for her.

Good luck with your project and I'm glad Kyle wasn't hurt! Be careful with the airbag system. I can't remember if your airbag popped or not.

Todd
Thanks, Todd. Appreciate the advice. I'll be starting a thread this week detailing my progress, trails and tribulations. Except for the hood, frontend and right fender, I have lots of body parts. It still runs, in fact the tow truck driver drove it onto his truck. Radiator is gone (against the engine somewhat), so he didn't run it long. The air bag DID NOT deploy - I'm not sure how difficult it is to remove.
Thanks again,
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx