View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
What is the exact problem with the transmission?

You say that this is your third transmission failure. There MUST be some human element involved. Who has been doing your work?
1st Tranny went after a long tour from Home through some hills & valleys. That was in '96 or '97. The car was a few months off warranty, so Subaru donated a tranny & I paid to put it in. Turned out the recall filter had not been installed on my car. 2nd Tranny went within a few weeks. It was a factory rebuild which had some kind of over torque problem on install if I remember correctly. Metal filings were showing up. It was replaced under full warranty. This one I may put down to the rear differential. The bushings were swapped out last fall for poly ones. Perhaps something broke then, but I can't really figure how.

There was a low frequency groan from the rear of the car a couple of times. Also a scraping sound intermittently after driving a while, which I put down to rust on the rotors and backing/splash plate. After sitting all winter in heated storage I couldn't find any gears, the they kicked in and everything was normal after driving a couple blocks. Then with no warning after about 500 km and a few days it was like someone pushed the gear lever on a manual to neutral. Tach AND Speedometer both headed for the red line, then the tranny engaged and the wheels chirped. I was doing about 60 - 70 km/hr. After that I nursed it back to the shop as it continued to act the same. The car gave a few ungodly shudders and there was a loud metallic grinding which lasted a few seconds. End of story.

I suspect something sheared off inside.

The mechanic is a Subaru Master tech who has competed in Subaru's competitions. He represented Canada in the world competition in Japan and finished 4th. He knows his stuff.