View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 06:47 AM

I have experienced the exact same wear - and on two sets of tires. When I first bought the car, the PO had put 18's on it, but with a good camber correction kit. The two fronts were gone at 25K miles of use, but only because the cord wore through on the inner most edge; the rest of the tire had a good 10K miles left on it. I wrote it off as running the tire possibly too low on air and misalignment. I bought a lifetime alignment from Firestone and they showed me that front toe was out on both sides. I replaced the worn tires with a set of new Firestone Wideovals - great tires by the way. At 25K miles, I noticed that the inner edge was wearing thin again. I took it to Firestone and they did an alignment again for free - gotta love that lifetime alignment - and said that the toe was out again. Not as bad as the first time, but enough to prematurely wear the fronts. Because they had performed the last alignment less than a year earlier, they prorated the two worst ones and replaced them with new. The manager recommended that I come and get it aligned every 6 months from now on. The rears by the way looked perfect and have at least another 10K left on them - not bad for 18" rubber. According to the manager, the alignment checks out to spec, but his analysis is that the suspension bushings have lost some of their strength and elasticity. If I have him check and tweak the alignment every 6 months, I can get the most out of my tires without doing a suspension rebuild. Outside of that, If I want to make it right, I probably need to replace a bunch of bushings. If I could get them in urethane, I would. By the way, I have a 92 with 140K miles, so it's a plausible explanation. Rubber bushings don't last forever. I hope this helps - you are not alone!