View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 12:20 AM

Thoughts from another student

I am in my third year at Colorado State University, and I bought my 1992 SVX only about 2 months ago. When I bought it, it had 145,000 miles, but a rebuilt tranny with only about 5K miles on it, new brakes, new radiator and a new alternator. I did alot of research on the car, and was aware of the problems SVX's have when I went into it. They were asking $3,200 for it. I test drove it, and fell in love with it. The windshield was cracked pretty severely, and after doing some research on it, found it would cost about $1,000 to replace it. So I talked the owners down to $2500. So at the time I bought it, I was planning on spending about another $1400 on repairs for it (I also needed new tires, because this SVX had sport tires, and I needed something all season to deal with the Colorado snow). So I bought it, and was very pleased, but noticed after a 2 hour trip home that some steam was coming out of the engine. I took it to a repair shop, and was told that I had bad fan relays. There are 6 relays, and each one costs about $45. I moved the relays around and found the bad ones, and replaced them both ($100). All was well right? Well about a week later, my check engine light came on, so I took it to the repair shop, and was diagnosed with a bad knock sensor, and quoted $500 to replace them both. I declined for the moment, because the diagnosis itself cost me $150. I figured I would save up alittle more money before I got that fixed. So then alittle later, the car totally died, and at the repair shop, I was told that when the new alternator was installed, a wire was left loose, and it fried itself out. There was another $430 down the drain. I had now spent a total of $700 fixing it, and still needed to fix the knock sensors, the windshield, and get new tires. I love my SVX, but in terms of recommending it to a college student, I WOULDNT! If money is tight for you at all, dont buy this car, because parts are expensive, and there are some prevalent problems. I hope this helps you make a descision.